Sunday, July 4, 2010

Electrolytes in a nut shell

It’s Getting More Difficult!


I received the results from my first submission in the mail. The result also included a message advising me to slow down. I am not permitted to finish the course work in less than 12 weeks without permission from the university. The university instructors want students to have time to absorb the course material that the students are learning. Racing through the material in a mad dash to the finish line is not acceptable. I call my instructor and I agree to slow down. It is just as well. Module 9 is next and the topic is Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Imbalance.

Module 9: The fluid intake and output section was a breeze but fluid transportation, Osmosis and oncotic pressure is a more difficult topic. We learn the different types of intravenous fluids and why that solution type is given. The role of kidney, heart and blood vessels, lungs, skin, and glands play in fluid volume and imbalance is discussed. How can they possibly condense this subject to one module? The module even goes into a discussion of the electrolytes and normal lab values as well as the reasons for the abnormal values. Oh we are not done! The pH, acid-base levels and how to determine if an imbalance in acid-base is due to a respiratory event or a metabolism event, are all discussed. Because the topic is so intense the module is divided into 2 sections. Section II discusses Blood and Blood Administration. This blood administration topic is a welcome reprieve from the acid-base topic. My head is full. I have to review this module more than once.

No comments:

Post a Comment